We are at our best when we create opportunities for discovery and connection.
The Whistler Public Library was formed in December of 1985 as by a dedicated group of community minded citizens in the basement of the Whistler Municipal Hall. Through the generosity of the Rotary Club of Whistler, materials and labour were provided to finish the interior of the 1400 square foot space which opened to the public on August 27, 1986. The library was open 4 days per week for a total of 16 hours. The collection consisted of 4,600 brand new books and by the end of 1986 the library had 380 card holders.
In December of 1994, the library moved to a new 2800 square foot location in Village North and in 1999 became part of the Resort Municipality of Whistler as a tax-supported municipal facility. By 2005, the library was open 51 hours per week, employed 10 staff members and loaned almost 150,000 items to 5,670 card holders.
In January 2008, the library opened the doors on the LEED Gold certified 12,000 square foot facility it currently calls home. Since moving to this facility the library has continued to evolve in accordance with its moniker as "Whistler's Living Room". On average the library receives over 250,000 visitors per year serving locals, second homeowners and tourists from around the globe.