Whistler Public Library and Armchair Books have joined forces to start a Community Book Club! Free and open to all, the club meets on the last Wednesday of each month.
- When: Wednesday, January 30, 7 p.m.
- Where: Fireplace Lounge, Whistler Public Library
- Who: Everyone welcome, no registration required
- How much: Free
- Which book: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- Where to get a copy: Borrow at WPL or buy at Armchair Books (mention the book club and receive 15% off)
Synopsis: In 1922, Count Alexander Rostov is deemed an unrepentant aristocrat by a Bolshevik tribunal, and is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin. Rostov, an indomitable man of erudition and wit, has never worked a day in his life, and must now live in an attic room while some of the most tumultuous decades in Russian history are unfolding outside the hotel’s doors. Unexpectedly, his reduced circumstances provide him entry into a much larger world of emotional discovery.
Read ahead: in February, we'll discuss Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward.