Whistler Public Library and Armchair Books have joined forces to start a Community Book Club! Free and open to all, the club meets on the last Wednesday of each month.
- When: Wednesday, May 29, 7 p.m.
- Where: Fireplace Lounge, Whistler Public Library
- Who: Everyone welcome, no registration required
- How much: Free
- Which book: Homes: A Refugee Story by Abu Bakr al Rabeeah and Winnie Yeung
- Where to get a copy: Borrow at WPL or buy at Armchair Books (mention the book club and receive 15% off)
Synopsis: Homes tells the story of Abu Bakr al Rabeeah, a young boy whose family moved from Iraq to Syria just before the start of the Syrian civil war. It recounts what it was like living in Syria during this time -- the normal things like video games, sleepovers, and family jarringly juxtaposed with car bombings, massacres, and the constant threat of what could happen next. In 2014 the family finally found safety in immigrating to Edmonton, Canada, and the book also recounts both the gratefulness and the loneliness of the family's immigration experience.